Tuesday, February 23, 2010

WALK ON


I'm a simple man. (Not really, but roll with me here.) I like reading. I like going to concerts. Because it is directly related to what my fiancee and I do vocationally, we see lots of shows. The best two concerts I've EVER been to have both been U2 shows. Over a decade ago I saw them rock the Cotton Bowl and late last year saw them (from about 15feet away) melt faces at the Deathstar (the new Dallas Cowboys stadium.) I'm a big U2 fan- maintaining a few degrees shy of an obsession. And like I said earlier, I also like to read.

So, I have really enjoyed delving into Walk On by Steve Stockman. It was a recent gift from Kimmer- who knows me well enough to buy me gifts I'll love (I'm picky and no one has ever been able to know what I'll like like she does- not even my sainted mother) and this book was no exception.

Stockman explores the spiritual side of the band. It is a pretty interesting read, as U2 is made up of 75% interesting Christians. Theyre not your cookie-cutter, Bible-belt, cover-your-mouth-and-open-your-eyes-real-big when-you-hear-a-cussword Christians. They have no interest in pharasaic mores (pronounced "mor-ayz.") And it's refreshing.

And that's what ties into the Tavern Church. We're interested in authenticity. None of us is perfect. Not anywhere close. But, we all need a Redeemer.

Stockman suggests that if the members of U2 had grown up in the U.S. or even Northern Ireland, instead of Dublin, they would've been sucked into a Christian subculture that frowns upon rock n'roll and bars and fraternizing with (instead of loving) the enemy. It's pretty crazy- but I think he's right. The Republic of Ireland, during the embryonic years of U2, was 96% Roman Catholic. And much of that was hardened, bitter, and somewhat agnosticized. In Dublin at the time, a young rock band that partied hard implementing drugs and sex and everything else would have been a yawnfest. They would've been like everyone else and their dog. But, the fact that they came out as Christians was a genuine act of rebellion. Smoking and drinking and sexing it up is a boring rebellion- defending the Faith with your words and actions and with boldness- now THAT takes courage.

So, this week we get ready for another Tavern Church service. Sunday night at 730pm at the City Tavern in downtown Dallas. If youre looking for an authentic rebellion- come on out.

See you there...

1 comment:

  1. I'll be there.

    P.S. When we catch a vision for the Kingdom instead of some other man-made vision, then we'll begin to see the Spirit released everywhere.

    ReplyDelete